Monday, September 20, 2010

Our works verify our faith.

"God is not man, that He should lie, or a son of man, that He should change His mind. Has he said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not fulfill it?" Numbers 23:19


This week I'm learning a lot about faith. I just joined an "organic" community group at Watermark. It's organic because we put it together ourselves. Whoop for meeting new friends through the summer and coming together to keep each other accountable. We decided to start our group off by reading through the book of Acts. What better way to dig down deep? Anyways we're up to chapter 3, but something in 2 really struck a chord with me.

2:37-- "Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart."

To give you some context, Peter is preaching to the people who have gathered together. He spoke of Jesus and the promise He has for the people who believe in the One who sent Him. He spoke of the people who denied Him and crucified Him. Finally, their ears were opened and they were burdened with what they had done. The Bible says they were cut to the heart. Other versions say they were pricked in heart, and even that their hearts were pierced.

What did it take? It took Jesus dying and then Peter, who had denied Jesus in the past, to speak publicly about Christ.

As for me, what will it take? Jesus already died for me. I already know the Truth He came to share. Shouldn't this be the part where my heart is pierced? Shouldn't I be repenting right now? Instead, I continually crucify Christ when I don't believe that He can take care of me. Or how about when I cling to what little money I do have and give the excuse of I need it to pay bills. So what, maybe I do. Oh ye of little faith. Have I forgotten that God blesses those that lend to the poor? I need to stop hiding behind the excuse that I am the poor. Look at what the Bible says next:

2:45--"And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need."

That's it. They figured it out. They have faith in God and their actions reflect that faith. They need nothing else.

This morning at church, I heard something that resonated with me. Listen here, if you wait until your schedule clears to help others or until you have enough money to give some away, you'll always be waiting. God WILL provide.

Trust Him and show your faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment