Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Because I'm grateful, grateful, so grateful.

Every year in Zambia we are able to give tennis shoes to all the kids in our groups. It's been such a blessing to my boys who will come back the next year wearing the same shoes I gave them the year before. These shoes mean the world to them. They may be the only pair they've ever had in their entire lives. Most of them wear these plastic slip on sandals instead because they are more affordable.

Week 7 of camp this year, we were finding that there was a shortage of the middle aged boys shoes. Exactly the sizes I would be needing. We had a back up plan though, somebody had donated thousands upon thousands of crocs. Now, to Zambians, crocs are considered cheap. They are made of plastic, just like the shoes they wear because they can't get anything better. Because we didn't have enough tennis shoes, we had to mix the crocs and shoes that week. Meaning, one kid in your group may get air forces and the next get a nice pair of bright blue crocs. This caused a lot of grumbling, crying, pouting, arguing, and flat out bad attitudes. The kids had forgotten that these shoes were a GIFT from God. They began to expect the shoes rather than be thankful for something that was given to them.

Finally, it was my turn to give shoes. My boys were so excited and one by one I was able to give them ALL air force ones. It was amazing. Until Alick. He unfortunately had the smallest feet of my group and they didn't have his size. When I gave him the crocs, he smiled from ear to ear and ran to go show off his new shoes. What a relief. Only one boy had to get crocs, but it seemed to be turning out just fine.

When we went outside and everybody was inspecting each others shoes, Alick realized he was the only one with the plastic shoes. All of a sudden he began to complain that his shoes didn't fit him and he needed a new pair. My heart broke for him because I wanted so badly to give him what he wanted, but I knew that I couldn't do that. So I reminded him that these shoes were hand picked for him and that they are the perfect fit.

Right before we loaded the buses to head into the communities, Alick came up to me and apologized for not liking his shoes. He said, "I love them! God gave me shoes and they were a gift. They are good to me!" I hugged him so tightly and praised Jesus for Alick's amazing attitude. We spent the rest of the afternoon evangelizing to the people of their communities and when we were done, again Alick came to tell me something. He said, "My friends made fun of me for having plastic shoes today, but I told them that I loved them! They may not be good for them, but they are so good for me. God gave me these shoes and so I love them!"


What an example. He may not have gotten the "best" shoes according to the standards of others, but he knew that his were absolutely meant for him. I know God gave them to Alick for a reason. He humbly accepted his gift and appreciated his shoes for the blessing that they were. In turn, every single one of my boys were taught a lesson of gratitude.


Hezekiah Walker says it well:

I am grateful for the things that You have done
I am grateful for the victories we've won
I could go on and on about your works
Because I'm grateful, grateful, so grateful just to praise You Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment