Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A boy who lives up to his name.


Let me tell you about a boy who stole my heart over a year ago. His name is Gracious. One look at his face and you can't help but light up inside. When I close my eyes, I can see him running up to me with a giant smile, wearing his cute little checkered button down shirt and his arms spread open wide, ready for a bear hug. When he agrees with what you're saying, he answers in his precious voice, "yeah sure." He has been my little translator for the boys who don't know English for two summers now and he is always the one who jumps the highest when dancing to our songs.

Last year Gracious lived with his Auntie and Uncle so when I asked him how home was I wasn't expecting much of a change. But then he told me that he moved back in with his mom. I asked him why and as he hung his head, he looked at me with deep sorrow in his gorgeous brown eyes and said, "because, it's better if we suffer together."

Gracious. A boy who lives up to his name. He gave up a life where he was able to get by for a life where he has absolutely nothing. A life where he has MAYBE one meal a day. A devastated life. A life where he has no reason to smile, but because he knows the Lord loves him, he does. And he shares that smile with his mom, who can't afford to send her child to school. He shares it with the men who daily chase him away since he hasn't paid. He shares it with friends, strangers, and store keepers.

He shares it with me.

Every memory I have of Africa this year ends with this thought: I am honored to have gotten to spend the past three years LEARNING from the most beautiful and gracious souls I've ever met.

No comments:

Post a Comment