Friday, August 27, 2010

Find your Calcutta.

This very minute, it is the middle of the night for my precious boys. I wish I could say they were tucked into their comfy beds, with a mother's love warming their bodies from the room next door. But the truth is, they don't have beds. The truth is, the don't have houses big enough to have rooms. The truth is, the don't have mothers.

The first time I met them, back in 2008, they were what we call "the walking dead." They were lifeless. Their eyes were empty and hollow. BUT I knew that I was sent there that year to show them the life they were always meant to have. They didn't trust me at first because they had no reason to. Nobody in their entire lives had ever taken the time to earn their trust. So I started from the beginning. And I poured every ounce of love onto them until I was physically and emotionally exhausted. In return, I got hugs that were so tight that my insides were undoubtedly squished. I held hands for so long that I had to run along side of the bus because they wouldn't let go as they were leaving. I got tears from young men who were taught to never show emotion.

Year by year I kept going back because the Lord kept telling me His work wasn't done. I became employed by Family Legacy this year because He needed me to give more than just a few weeks to the place He has called me to.

This year when I asked my boys what they wanted to be when they grow up, do you know what they said? They wanted to work for Family Legacy too. I've loved these boys for 2 full years now, but God, He's loved them for an eternity. He only used me to be a tangible image of that love. And now there is an evident glow deep inside each of their souls that radiates out to others as they shine the Light.


Mother Teresa dedicated her life to the people that the rest of the world has forgotten about. She cared for the lepers and the widows and the destitute in Calcutta. She gave her life to Christ, and therefore devoted her life to the people who have been outcasted by worldly standards.

She always said, "Calcuttas are everywhere if only we have eyes to see. Find your Calcutta."


Friends, go seek your own Calcutta. It may be across the world, or maybe just across the street. Go and pursue it.

No comments:

Post a Comment