Monday, August 2, 2010

Well done good and faithful servant.

So the trip is over. After 40 hours of travel time and 2 weeks in one of my favorite places in the entire world, I've made it back home. The time flew by so quickly that it feels like I never even left.

I've been asked in my three years, which one has been my favorite. As I think about it, it's hard to choose one because in all three I've learned something new and have grown so much. 2008 was my first experience. My mind was blown about God's protection and guidance for me. My whole life I thought I was the one in control of my life but I realized that my purpose in life is to live for Him. I am His child and He has anointed me to go and proclaim the good news to the nations. In 2009, I was in need of a much gentler message. He wrapped me in His arms and abundantly poured out His love on me. I was reminded that He would never leave me. No matter what, He is always there for me. I never have to worry about being good enough for Him or whether or not my mistakes will make Him eventually turn His back. All He wants is our faith and in return He has given us life. And now 2010. This time I learned about JOY. When I think back on my time in Africa, instantly a smile is covering my face. But what I think is the greatest is that this has been my theme throughout the year. There is no greater joy on this earth then what God can bring us. And with that comes strength.

Focus on your giants, you fall.
Focus on God, your giants fall.

Isn't that an incredible message?! Especially for these children who have monsters waiting for them around every corner. All the odds are against them. All of the world doesn't care about them. But God says in Isaiah that He has called each of us by name and we are His. That includes the orphans. He calls them precious. He sees them as beautiful.

It is one of the biggest honors in my life to get the opportunity to love on these children. I know with complete discernment that God led me to them in the most perfect timing. Not only am I getting to love on them and encourage them, I am being loved on as well.

On the last night in Africa, one girl testified about her summer in Africa. She went on to thank each of us for coming and doing the Lord's work. She thanked us for being faithful servants, blindly following God. But when she said that, images of my boys flashed through my mind instead. Wholeheartedly they obey the Lord. Selflessly they put others first. They have nothing and yet they give everything. I see Christ in their actions.

I pray daily that I don't let the stresses of life preoccupy my mind. What an example my boys have set. Their giants are named poverty, starvation, abuse, rape, disease, death. They look the devil in the eyes every single minute of every single day and yet they choose not to see him. Instead they believe in the Lord's strength. Instead the choose to give to others who have even less than them. Instead they become good and faithful servants.

No comments:

Post a Comment