Tuesday, June 16, 2009

nikukonda africa

just 3 1/2 short weeks until I leave. I'm pretty sure it's the only thing that I can think about these days. I honestly don't care about anything else. Is that a bad thing?

I thought of a funny story today about my boys (of course!)

So one day we were lined up in the main room waiting for Greer to start and all of a sudden they're jumping all over me, obviously really excited about a discovery they just made. They ask, "Auntie Kailee you're 20 right??" After I said yes they grabbed my hand and put it in the guy next to me's hand and with huge grins all across their faces they said, "you're 20 and Adam is 20! You will get married and have babies!" it was the funniest thing in the entire world because they were so certain they had found my future husband for me! Awkwardly I hadn't even met the guy because he was so quiet I usually talked to the guys on my other side! So in the midst of my boys playing match maker, I introduced myself to Adam, my future husband.


another story of how amazing my boys are:

So it was the day we got to go on the buses to visit the village that our kids were from. My boys went to a school called Tithandizane, which was in a village that was pretty rough. Well, I don't really know what the problem was with the buses, if there just wasnt enough going to Tithandizane or what, but my group was going to have to be split among a few buses in order to fit. So me and Kelvin put some of our kids on the first bus and start looking for another one when all of a sudden we realize we had all of our boys again. We find another bus and again try to fit some of our kids on this bus, but when they realized that we weren't coming with them they literally were jumping out of the windows to get off. At this point, I was getting frustrated because all of the buses were filling up and NONE of my boys were on them! We were running through all of the buses and I was being pulled by my boys so that I couldn't leave them! Eventually we found an empty bus that got to take all of us to Tithandizane together!

Well I obviously stuck out like a sore thumb when we got to the village, but let me tell you, I was SO completely protected by my guys and Kelvin! There was one time when we walked by a tavern (kind of like a bar) and there were a bunch of guys sitting outside of it. Well the guys started yelling things at me in nyanja and my boys literally formed a circle around me and started yelling things back, which I couldn't understand, but it was the cutest thing how protective they were! We then went to a "store" but really it was just big enough for one maybe two people to stand in. Kelvin went in and I stayed out with our boys, but I guess they didn't like the fact that I was out there without Kelvin so before I knew it they had pushed me inside the store too! ha!

side note: this year when I go in the village I will remember to take my name tag off. Kelvin failed to mention to me that the way my name is spelled is pronounced ka-i-lee which means somebody who has been to prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment