Monday, July 26, 2010

A Christian with a difference

sorry I didn't write yesterday (that really goes out to my mom who texted me to see why I didn't write) I probably had time but we decided to play games instead! So I will start with Saturday night.

We had dinner and then went back to villa 70 and probably over half of the americans were there playing mafia. It was soooo much fun. I feel like this week just started but I already have formed strong connections with the people who just got here. Then Sunday we got up and went to church. Pastor Rafael spoke again. He is so incredible. He talked about being a Christian with a difference. We talked about how faith without works is dead and how even the demons believe but God is looking for believers who obey.

Matthew 21:28 says "But don't just listen to God's word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves." It goes on to talk about how when you walk up to a mirror you are intending to change something. The whole reason is to fix something out of place. You wouldn't look at yourself and see problems and not do anything about it. It's the same way when you read the Bible. Don't walk away unchanged. It would be foolish. Jesus followed God all the way to the cross. Not one time did he disobey. A Christian with a difference is one who obeys and not just believes.

Then after the market on Sunday we met our partners. My actual partner wasn't there because he works for the Kabanana CRC (where my boys last week were from) but I met my evangelist. Funny story, she was the one who I asked to help me one day last week because my apostle (helper) wasn't there and she didn't want to do it because she had never worked with boys before. Well surprise for her! She gets boys. But it was good, she is actually very nice. She is 27 with a 6 month old baby and skinny as a stick. After we got back from dinner we played combat uno. I don't think I've laughed so hard in a very long time.

So now on to today!! Well my boys were the VERY first group to arrive. I only have 2 return from last year and 13 new ones! They are from Avondale so they are not quite like all the other kids. Avondale is very far away and is pretty rural. I ended up doing 2 blessing times with the 2 that returned thinking it would be quick and easy but Alex broke my heart with what he had to say. Last year he stayed with his father and 2 brothers. His mom had passed away years ago but I found out that his dad just passed away last week. I just didn't know what to say. He had no expression on his face because he was trying to be strong but he said that he is very sad. So him and his younger brother, who is also in my group, moved in with his older brother. Now when I say older I only mean that he is 21. Can you imagine being 21 and taking care of a 15 and 13 year old?! They live in a servant's quarters behind the house that the older brother is a garden boy for. He hasn't been to school in 3 weeks because they have no money. I mean this is just one story of a million more just like it from these kids.

I leave you with prayer requests. All of us here are getting sick with runny noses and not being able to breathe. Pray that it isn't a distraction for us at camp!

No comments:

Post a Comment