Monday, July 19, 2010

I am so blessed.

What a great day. Man. I just could not have asked for anything better. Ok so before I came to Africa I took a little peek at my rosters of the boys I would be getting while here (the perks of working for FLMI now!) and I found out that they were ALL kinds of messed up. I mean they had them at different schools, mixed up, switched weeks, and a whole new group. So I quickly sent the names of my boys from last year in hopes that it would help. Well I had no idea going into today which kids I would actually be getting. This morning, 13 of my 15 boys, that I’ve now had for 3 years, stepped off the bus!!! They saw me immediately and started waving their arms trying to get my attention! When I saw them my heart just lit up and I ran all the way across the (dirt) field to hug them! They were jumping up and down, clapping and laughing. It was the greatest reunion! I can’t believe how big they have gotten. One or two are nearly my size!! I’m not really sure why I didn’t get the other two but I talked to the zone leaders of Kabanana and they said they would bring them to camp tomorrow so hopefully I end up with all 15 boys again! This is very rare. I feel SO BLESSED. All day they kept hugging me and telling me that they were so happy to see me. I, of course, was saying the exact same thing to them!

A few more of them are learning English now. So now Joseph, Gracious, Lyson, Matthew, and Blessings can understand me for the most part. Lyson really impressed me today. Last year he was somewhat quiet and I would say he was one of the happiest people to see me today. He also was a great leader and had some pretty powerful prayers.

I just love Zambians. I mean they are all so friendly and happy. I love trying to learn Nyanja so that I can tell it to them the next day. I have 2 verses memorized now plus quite a few phrases and words. It’s funny because when you talk to them in Nyanja they just start laughing, but it’s because they are so happy that I am trying to learn. My partner would walk around and tell everybody that I know Nyanja! She was so proud of me! I really like Ezra, but at times it is difficult because she doesn’t always translate for me. So they will be having a conversation sometimes and I will have no idea what they are talking about. Also afterwards she made us go to the bathroom so she could put on makeup! Ha! That was something new.

I got to see Kelvin SO SO much. Our groups are right next to each other which is awesome. It no longer makes me sad that I’m not his partner. I am just so thankful to get to see him daily. I also got to see Paul, who was my partner last year a lot. I think he has grown spiritually since then! What a difference a year makes!

Oh I forgot to mention that the first thing my boys asked me is if I was married yet. Every year I just make them more and more sad. I said “No no no I am way too young!” and they all started laughing at me! They love me so much and just really want to see me married off. Hahaha how sweet?

Anyways today was a great day. I forgot how exhausting it is though. It’s only 8:30 and I would like to be in bed! I still have to make 9 sandwiches and drop some supplies off at another villa. And maybe play some games :)

prayer requests- maybe for me and my partner. We get along really really well but hopefully we connect better as a team. Oh and just some energy around here!


love from Africa.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for writing this. I love hearing about your day. And I love hearing about your boys and all the people in Zambia. It is so exciting to see how much Family Legacy has changed the lives of the kids that come, physically and spiritually.

    ReplyDelete