Friday, July 23, 2010

JOY PARTY!!

ok let me just tell you today was the BEST DAY EVER. But it was also very bittersweet because I had to say bye to my boys. They are the most precious things in the entire world. Every year I say they've stolen my heart and every year they somehow find more of my heart to take. Gosh I think I'm going to start crying if I keep thinking about how much I love them. I mean I've seen these boys grow up now for the past 3 years. They have grown into such amazing leaders and have been completely transformed.

The day started out with them running toward me again. I don't think that ever gets old. Then I had them trace their hands in my journal so that I will have a little piece of them with me always. After that the JOY PARTY started. It was crazyyyy. We danced to the cotton eyed joe and a little elvis. Hilarious. During the joy songs they had confetti bombs going off all over the room and and people running around with bubble machines. I mean it was straight madness. Then one guy got up and juggled and rode the unicycle. After the joy party we gave the kids their blessing boxes and the ingredients to make Nshima. It was the cutest thing because we had to go collect all the ingredients at the top of the hill and bring it down to our group and well my partner was sick so she wasn't much help all day so I was trying to get it all myself. I had 60 pounds of sugar in my arms and I got about half way down the hill and was completely regretting my decision to carry it all alone but right when I thought I was going to drop it here come my boys running to my rescue! I have good boys. Then they came back and carried the oil and the mealie meal for me also.

When they opened their blessing boxes their favorite thing was the pictures of the muzungus! They were so interested in who they were to me. They especially loved the ones that were family members.

When the boys finally had to leave it was incredibly sad. I just stood their holding their hands through the bus and I was next to Joseph at one point and he whispered in my ear, "auntie Kailee promise me you wont forget me." Oh sweet Joseph. Never in my life will I EVER forget him. Never will I ever forget any of them.

The water in my villa hasn't worked in 2 days. I've been washing my hands, feet and face with hand wipes. Yeah it's a little gross, but let me tell you something. I'll take the dirty face and completely brown creased hands if that means that I'm getting to love on precious little children. I'll take the sand filled shoes and dirt trapped hair from a million little hands touching and playing with it all day. It's worth it. It's worth all the exhaustion. It's worth all the sunburn. It's worth the smell. It's worth everything.

Today we went to the Tree of Life Village and I can't believe how many houses are up now. Greer always starts out by telling the story or background on the houses and how they were funded and named. I've heard these stories at least half a dozen times but it doesn't matter. Every time I am brought to tears. Most of the houses are in dedication of somebody who passed away, but how great is it to know that although that person may no longer be with us, 15 beautiful children are ALIVE because of that house. The children live in their legacy. Ask me about some of the stories sometime, I'd love to share.


So today was great. I'm a little bummed it's over, but there is no doubt in my mind that I'll see them all again. I love this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment